Get Your Garden Ready For Warm Weather in Spring!
Your spring garden is an exciting place as plants begin to wake from their winter slumber. If there is still danger of heavy frost, don’t go too crazy yet! Your garden will always benefit from clean tools, simply wash with a mild soapy solution and dry well. Any sharpening that is needed can be accomplished now. You may find those pruners need to be replaced, now is the time to organize your arsenal.
Once the weather becomes more dependable and danger of heavy frost is gone:
- Rake the leaves out of your spring garden beds, clear out any dead plants and check your mulch levels in the different areas.
- Pull weeds from beds before they have a chance to really take hold.
- If you mulched heavily last Fall we recommend scarifying the mulch.
- to scarify, simply take a wide tooth rake and rake through the mulch breaking up any areas that have matted down from the weight of the snow and ice. This will allow air and moisture to get through to the roots of your spring garden.
- Cut back any grasses and perennials you left natural last Fall. Cut back your Hydranges if you left them natural as well.
- Spring is a great time to re-seed or over-seed your lawn. Fill in any bare patches or spots. Or call us and we’ll take care of all of the above for you, it’s what we love to do! We can provide hyrdoseeding and soil aeration for your property if you want to give that extra boost to your grass.
- Start up your irrigation system and check that all valves and sprinkler heads are working properly. Or call us to schedule your Spring Start Up and we’ll take care of everything.